Saturday, February 19, 2011

Mozzarella, Garlic, and Basil Bread sticks



I was looking on one of my favorite blogs (http://fortheloveofcooking-recipes.blogspot.com/) today and found a delicious looking recipe. It was for: Parmesan, Roasted Garlic, and Basil Bread sticks. I am a bread LOVER! I decided to try to make this recipe without a Bread Machine, and adapting some of the ingredients. It turned out DELICIOUS!

Recipe:
Bread dough:
1 1/8 cups of warm water
2 tbsp sugar
1 1/2 tsp salt
3 cups of flour
2 tsp active dry yeast

Once risen add:
3 T Mozzarella cheese
2 T fresh (chopped) or dry basil
1 and 1/2 T minced garlic

1 T butter
2 T olive oil

This recipe originally called for dough made in a Bread Machine. I do not own a Bread Machine, so I just made the dough by hand.

First combine salt, yeast, sugar, and water in a bowl. Stir. Let rest 5-10 minutes or until small bubbles form. Then combine yeast mixture with flour in a larger bowl. Knead 5 minutes and form into a ball. Let rise on a heating pad or in a proofing oven until it almost doubles in size. Then, add garlic, basil, and Parmesan cheese. Knead until ingredients are well combined. Separate dough into five inch long snakes about an inch thick. Place on greased cooking sheet (2 T olive oil). Again, let rise on a heating pad or in a proofing oven until double in size. Cook at 375 degrees until golden brown. Brush bread sticks with butter once they come out of the oven.

Comments:
I absolutely loved this recipe because it was so adaptable. I did not have fresh garlic, basil, Parmesan, or a Bread Maker. So, I just made it with what I had. I used minced garlic, Mozzarella, and dry basil and it turned out just great! Also, the cooking times on this recipe may vary. The original recipe says it will take anywhere from 18-22 minutes to cook. In my quick cooking oven, it only took around 9 minutes to fully cook.

1 comment:

Casey said...

ooooo, this looks GOOD!!!!!!!